Thursday, December 23, 2010

Christmas Banana Bread

When I was 18, I dated a guy, Brandon, who had a wonderful grandmother, Donna. We were together for a little over two years, and one Christmas, she presented me with a recipe binder filled with her and her family's favorite recipes. There were probably 100+ recipes, handwritten, in this thing. It is by far one of the most sincere and generous gifts I have ever received. The amount of time this lady spent putting it together in itself means alot.

I'll admit, I haven't tried every recipe yet, and I've had the binder for 7 years now. But, the ones I have tried, I have loved, and this is one of them. Because it's Christmas, y'all, and it's widely known that Christmas isn't Christmas without baking.

May I present to you, Christmas Banana Bread. Happy baking! and Merry Christmas!

Christmas Banana Bread

1/2 c. softened butter
1 c. sugar
2 eggs
2 c. flour
1 t. baking soda
1/4 t. salt
1 1/4 c. mashed ripe bananas (approx. 3 medium bananas)
1/2 c. chopped walnuts (I prefer no nuts in mine)
1/2 c. semisweet chocolate chips (I always use upwards of 1 cup...more chocolate please!)
1/4 c. chopped maraschino cherries (not too finely chopped)

In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, beating well. Combine flour, baking soda, and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Beat in bananas. Stir in remaining ingredients. Pour into a greased loaf pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 70-80 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pan before removing from pan to further cool on wire rack. Yields one loaf.

No comments: